18 Mar Antibiotic Reassessment
Posted at 00:00h in Case Study
- Communication between nurses and doctors is key to the successful management of infection events and challenging when doctors are frequently offsite.
- Patient reassessment during antibiotic treatment is a critical element of antibiotic stewardship which is often neglected.
- SmartSteward™ sets 24 to 72 hour timeout reminders to reassess with every antibiotic prescription.
- SmartSteward™ automatically notifies nurses when it’s time to reassess the patient.
- Nurse on day shift was concerned of patient’s altered mental status and used SmartSteward™ to reach out to the doctor who requested a urinary analysis.
- Abnormal UA lab result was forwarded by nurse to doctor.
- Doctor issued Rx Cefdinir 300 mg/5 days. Doctor also requested a 48 hr. reassessment.
- Nurse on evening shift was sent reminder to reassessed at 48 hrs and found no change in patient’s condition and alerted doctor.
- Doctor ordered a new urinanalysis which was positive.
- Doctor discontinued cefdinir.
- Started new prescription for optimal therapy – (Nitrofurantoin 100 mg/7 days).
- Patient’s condition improved.